Sunday, June 29, 2014

Ode to Diddle, or The Poem I Wrote About How I’m Jealous of a Dog

I think about my major, you catch the ball
I rethink my relationships, you bring it back
I add up all my responsibilities, you catch the ball
I decide that I hate myself, you bring it back
Cute doesn’t even begin to describe it.
You’re cute to a fault.
Annoyingly adorable.
Unbearably sweet.
Frustratingly optimistic.
Transparent and heartbreakingly simple.
You hop through the yard on your back legs,
The world is your trampoline.
Every tool is your toy,
every movement a chance for you to play.
A wag of your tail wipes away your problems
as if they were written in dry erase marker.
“No” is an obstacle,
“Never” is an impossibility
You are destined to remain perpetually happy.
I am destined to keep you that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment